View Single Post
Old March 17, 2019   #18
Foose4string
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
For those of you that use regular potting mix -- do you screen it to remove twigs, etc? I always had trouble with big "chunks" of debris or mix if I didn't sift it with some 1/4" hardware cloth first. Now I normally use Burpee's Coir starting mix (no sifting required).
I don’t screen it. My seeds have done just fine without needing to do that. Additionally, I have found no great advantage to using a starter mix over regular mg potting soil. And don’t even get me started on those darn Jiffy pellets! All that stuff is a waste of money in my opinion, at least where tomatoes are concerned.

I think a lot of people tend to sow their seeds much deeper than necessary. Perhaps the seed starting mixes are a bit more forgiving in that respect? So, I suspect that is why it is popular. I use a typical 72 cell tray and fill each cell loosely to the top with potting soil. Usually, 2 seeds per cell, maybe 3 if it’s older seed. Seed is placed on top of the soil, never in it. Then, sprinkle a very thin layer of soil on top of the seed, just barely enough to cover them. I use a spray bottle to wet soil. Cover with the clear top that comes with the tray. I keep them at room temp. No heating mat required. After about 3 days when I see the first sprout appear I turn on my fluorescents. Two 4’ shop lights, 4 bulbs total, 2 warm white and 2 cool white (2red/2blue) alternating the colors. Hang fixtures as close to the tray as safely possible.

My seedlings don’t appear to be suffering from “stick and bark” trauma at the moment. Although, I think they are just about ready for their first dose of fertilizer.

I have actually culled a bunch of seedlings out of this tray due to the high rate of success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 741BD463-B44C-42D2-B4F1-E981922F8CB3.jpg (506.5 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Foose4string; March 18, 2019 at 08:29 PM.
Foose4string is offline   Reply With Quote