View Single Post
Old October 17, 2014   #24
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I had a field day reading through the varieties list and comparing with TGRC lines I have grown. LA0417 is correctly identified as Cerasiforme! I knew this from growing and enjoying the fruit, but it is still shown as Pimpinellifolium at TGRC.

Correct placement of varieties in species is a very interesting side effect of the genetic analysis. There are 16 varieties placed in different branches in this study. Most were moved from Pimpinellifolium to Cerasiforme or the reverse.

I wish they had tested LA2175 which is the S. Habrochaites line that shows excellent disease tolerance in my garden.

Edit: after studying the varieties in some detail, it is obvious someone had a goal. They tested Richters wild and 2 NC EBR lines. This sheds light on the early blight/late blight breeding work Randy Gardner did while developing the Mountain lines. There are also signs that they hand picked some wild lines because of reported disease tolerance. LA0722, LA0417, and Richters fit this group. There is another group of heritage processing varieties like King Humbert, San Marzano, and Principe Borghese. All in all, the reported conclusions are unremarkable, but the varieties tested can be used to map introgressions from wild species and to pinpoint trait hotspots in the genome.

If you look closely, there are a few duplicates. LA0417 and LA0722 are listed twice. LA0417 is a segregating population as shown by highly variable disease tolerance in my garden last year. They probably tested more than one plant in order to pinpoint the differences.

Last edited by Fusion_power; October 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote