View Single Post
Old April 1, 2014   #20
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
Have you heard of any generally available varieties with these mutations?

So far, I've only got "Caro-rich" in my list as having 'Beta'/'B'. I've read about the others, but haven't found any variety names.
Jaune Flammee also has a Beta gene and is high in Beta Carotene. It appears there is variation in the Beta gene itself? (see next paragraph)

There is this presentation that doesn't have much text. It appears to being doing analysis on the Beta gene (or a promoter of the B gene?), and looking at breeding and using some sort of marker for improving selection, but given the lack of text, I'm only making inferences: http://tgc.ifas.ufl.edu/2013/2013/02%20-%20Orchard.pdf

I have some 97L97 seeds that I got from Fusion_Power. Mine have not yet come up, so I don't know yet if I'll have enough seed to share (If they don't come up this week, I'm going to restart them.) 97L97 was a 'breeding' tomato release from the USDA if my memory serves. It still has the Beta gene tied to the determinate characteristic.

Has anyone have information on how Delta-carotene reacts in the body? Looking at some synthesis pathways I've seen recently delta is a precursor to alpha-carotene which is 1/2 as effective as beta-carotene (inferred from some reading), . However the synthesis pathways I saw I think were detailing what happens in the plant.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote