View Single Post
Old February 23, 2020   #68
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I’m thinking exactly along the same line, wondering if I should just sew some tubes with landscaping fabric, double line stitched then cut to length. Or use some sort of cross cross panels (like a wine box) to line directly on the potting soil. Or no pot at all, just grow separated seedlings in the greenhouse, plucking them out at planting time. Otherwise I would need several hundred containers. In the past, I used pots and solo cups, taking too much space and soil.
In the old days, my parents never used pots. People at the farm would dig a deep trench (3 feet), lay some manure under the seeding bed to generate heat, then cover the top with plastic and hay. They open the top on sunny days. Tomatoes, peppers and egg plants are all started this way. The seedlings were only separated when ready to into the field.That was in a very cold climate (near Russia), years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Looking for a tube style "pot". Actually a plastic bag, about 2-3 inches in diameter and about 10 inches tall. The bottom might be open, not sure.

Saw these in a youtube video but cannot locate a source. Tried Greenhouse Mega Store....perhaps I just dont have the right term to search.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; February 23, 2020 at 03:00 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote