View Single Post
Old March 2, 2013   #25
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Quinalts are supposed to fruit on the runners without the runners being planted, and I hope that's true. How pretty that would be !
That would be a lot of strain on the plant without having the runner's roots providing moisture and nutrients. Try some Jiffy starter pucks and the runners will thrive.

I pot the runners up and leave them there for several weeks. I've forgotten some and had them producing strawberries. My friend has a hanging planter of strawberries and has three layers of hanging runners, all potted with jiffy pucks and all producing. Looks like a Spider plant with strawberries. They're hanging down about 5 feet and bottom runner is starting to produce a 4th level of runners. He just sprays it with a hose every day and sprays twice a week with Miracle Grow. Each runner at the top has two runners, and each of them two runners, etc. There 3 plants in the pot, six hanging and potted in the first level, 12 in level two, and 24 in level three. It's so thick at the bottom it looks like a Christmas tree with red berry ornaments. It's a lot of work and takes a lot of watering and plant food though.