View Single Post
Old March 6, 2014   #15
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi912 View Post
Bayer advance has a systemic chemical labeled for most vegetables in the homeowners garden. The active ingredient is imidacloprid, which is the same chemical in bayer advantage for pets. It is applied through the root system. The harvest interval is 30 days for most veggies on the label. That tells me 30 day control of most insect pests. Cant decide if I will use this one or not, a tad bit intimidating/nerve racking.
I used this two years ago to kill the thousands of white grubs that had taken over my garden. I used a soil drench ( 1 gal. per 20 sq. ft.) in Early April and a squirt on the roots of each plant when i planted.
I'm not sure what it did to my earthworms, but it stopped the grubs from eating all the roots off my plants and killed almost all of them. I did notice several grubs when i pulled up plants last fall, mostly in my containers. I'm hoping that i don't have to, but i may have to do this again this year. I will know in about a week if this snow ever goes away.

I'm not a big fan of Bayer, so i was and still am somewhat scared of using this on my garden. I have a close friend who runs a farm store. He recommended using this and cautioned me to not go overboard on applying it.

Ken
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote