View Single Post
Old May 26, 2015   #332
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
OSU Blue got into the wild when a student distributed some seed online. The resulting plants had several problems including excess foliage, uneven size, uneven color, and segregating genes that induce anthocyanin formation.

P20 is a selection from OSU Blue that emphasized plant traits a bit more. It was still segregating with some plants producing distinctly darker fruit.

Indigo Rose is a selection from P20 that stabilizes the genes for anthocyanin and fixes the fruit size in the 2 to 4 ounce range.

Jim Myers is still working with crosses to improve flavor and culinary traits. He has several lines going including a yellow with anthocyanin and several oval fruited lines. One of the oval lines that I tasted in 2012 was a very good flavored tomato though it still had a bit of an off whang from the wild species genetics.

I have a line growing from a single plant selection about 5 years ago. It has sungold sweetness combined with high anthocyanin fruit and moderately good fruit flavor. I have 3 plants in the garden that will hopefully be stable for the traits. This line is potato leaf.
She wasn't a student Fusion, she was a technician in Dr. Myers Lab and I was present at DG when she made that offer.

I knew at the time that anyone working with OSU had to sign a release paper from Myers that seeds would be used ONLY for breeding purposes, which you knew as well.

When I asked her about that all she said was that no one had told her she could NOT distribute seeds and kept offering them.

And that's how the original OSU seeds got so widely distributed.

Carolyn