Thread: My eggplants
View Single Post
Old December 20, 2010   #26
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Those look quite healthy. How are they doing now in December?

I am choosing my varieties for 2011. I don't see anything new I want to try so far so I'll go for the same three reliable ones I've been growing the last few years. I like Rosita, White Beauty and Louisiana Long Green.
Thanks. The weather here is so unpredictable this December. It rains almost every day and when its not raining, the temps go high as 33C again.

I've lost some plants already due to the continuous downpour.

I've distributed the plants on the smaller tray to my neighbours. I just retained 12 plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinTinTin View Post
Nice looking plants. It looks like your trellis system needs a coat of Ospho (phosphoric acid). It will convert rust (iron oxide) into iron phosphate...it will almost look like a black epoxy finish. Use a cheap (throw-away) paint brush, wear rubber gloves, and DON'T let it splash on cotton clothing. It will take about a day (without being rained on) to complete the process, and will last years with only occasional 'touch-ups' needed.
Thanks for the tip. The trellis is our old window grill. I recycled it as a trellis and support for my DIY platform. I'll scout the local hardware for those Ospho and will coat it when the weather becomes more predictable.
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote