View Single Post
Old December 28, 2019   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Yesterday I got the seed orders sent in so now we'll see whose seeds get here first. It's an annual guessing game just like whose catalog will get here first. This is just a list of the new things I'm trying in addition to stuff on the regular grow list. New onions to add in the fall. Bell peppers that are supposed to do well here where the heat usually precludes growing bells. More flowers this year to entice pollinators and butterflies. I really enjoyed photographing and ID'ing butterflies this year and watching the populations change over the seasons. And what's spring without a few new toys to play with.

Asparagus, Conover's Colossal (seed; plants will be planted out around the property)

Bean, Yard Long (hoping this green one does better than the Red Noodle variety)

Broccoli, Umpqua (still trying to find a good OP broccoli. This one was recommended to me by a few folks here)

Cabbage, Savoy Perfection (been wanting to try a savoy type for a good while)

Coneflower, Purple

Jerusalem Artichoke

Monarda, Lemon Mint (bee balm for pollinators and tea)

Okra, Cajun Jewel (I want to see if this dwarf is similar to the old 'Cajun Delight' which could be started indoors from seed without seedlings getting leggy and useless like regular okras)

Onion, Texas 1015Y Supersweet (hoping this sweet onion does better for me than the Yellow Granex)

Onion, White Creole (supposed to be great for the South)

Pea, Colossus 80 (field pea, very disease resistant and a few extension services said it's also nematode resistant. Will use it in a bed to hopefully starve any nematodes there)

Pepper, Carolina Wonder (supposedly a bell for the South)

Pepper, Charleston Belle (supposedly a bell for the South)

Radish D'Avignon (like French Breakfast only longer)

Roselle, St. Kitts & Nevis (will trial this new one next to the Thai Red I grew this year)

Rudbeckia, Indian Summer

Sunflower, Beach

Sunflower, Sunspot

Tom. Grafting Rootstock RST-04-105 (A new project, thanks to Bill! Supposedly nematode resistant and super disease resistant, wilt included. These will be planted directly into the garden soil, not into containers.)

Zuccheta Rampicante (another toy)

Now it's time to add these to the grow list. Then it will be time to assign start dates to everything and figure out what beds everything will go into. I already know what beds will have which plant families so that's a good start on the process. Good grief... will everything fit? "Make it so, Number One!"

Let Spring begin!

Asparagus - the best drainage areas are recommended, for a plant that can last a couple of decades.

Bean, Yard Long - Orient Wonder is claimed to be one of the best for various conditions. I have several varieties that do better, for me. Also, I have a 50 DTM "stickless wonder" bush type. I get two crops a year from each plant, up north. I wonder if you could get three?

Radish - If you really want to play, I have seed of Madras and Rattail from a side-by-side planting in 2019, which means that many seeds may be crossed. These varieties are meant to be used as edible podded radishes.

The best of luck, and weather, in 2020.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote