View Single Post
Old March 9, 2006   #15
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

(from a previous posting) Okay, now you guys are talking my language (I make salsa for a living)! Check out my company website www.fronterakitchens.com. Here is a recipe for my favorite homemade salsa: Chicago_Joe

Roasted Jalapeno-Tomato Salsa with Fresh Cilantro
Yield 5 Cups

3 Pounds of Ripe Tomato (your favorite)
4 to 6 Fresh Jalapeno chilies, steamed or roasted
1 small White Onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
8 Garlic Cloves
1/2 Cup of Water
2/3 Chopped Fresh Cilantro
2 Tablespoons of Salt
1 Tablespoon of Cider Vinegar

Heat broiler. Lay whole tomatoes and jalapenos out on a broiler pan or baking sheet. Broil for about 6 minutes until darkly roasted - even blackened in spots on one side. Flip tomatoes and jalapeños and broil for another 6 minutes or so. The goal is not simply to char the tomatoes and chiles but to cook them through while developing nice roasty flavors. Set aside to cool.

Turn oven down to 425 degrees. Separate onions into rings. On a baking sheet, combine onions and garlic. Roast in the oven, stirring carefully every couple of minutes, until the onions are beautifully browned and wilted and garlic is soft and browned in spots, about 15 minutes total. Cool to room temperature.

For a little less rustic flavor or if you are canning the salsa, pull of the peels from the cooled tomatoes and cut out the cores (working over your baking sheet so as to not waste any juices).

In a food processor, pulse the jalapenos (no need to peel or seed them) with onion and garlic until moderately finely chopped, scraping everything down with a spatula as needed to keep it all moving around. Scoop into a big bowl. Without washing the processor, coarsely puree tomatoes with all the juice that accumulated around them and add to the bowl. Stir in enough water to give the salsa an easily spoonable consistency. Stir in cilantro. Taste and season with salt and vinegar, remembering that this condiment should be a little feisty in its seasoning. If you’re planning to use the salsa right away, simply pour into a bowl and it’s ready, or refrigerate it covered and use within 5 days.
coronabarb is offline   Reply With Quote