Thread: Industrial Hemp
View Single Post
Old August 28, 2018   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbardo View Post
Found some information put out by the university of kentucky. Its 5 years old so some of then information isnt up to date but it highlights some of the challenges. Namely the uncertainty with laws and with competition from other countries, the lack of a large established market with processing facilities to handle production, tools for processing the stalks to fiber efficiently, etc. And the lack of crop insurance for hemp is (was?) a big deal. They thought it would get started purely as an oilseed crop and if the market develops that technology and expertise might allow for more of the benefits of the fiber to be realized.

Hard to justify all that when corn, soy, canola, and cotton are all known quantities, and farmers have gotten very very good at growing them.

https://www.uky.edu/Ag/AgEcon/pubs/r...mpfarmer28.pdf

Interesting topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My info about there being only 4 places designated in NYS was way out of date since when I googled it I found a very different picture.

For instance,they aren't usually called farmers,they are called industrial producers since that's ALL they grow.See the title of this thread.

Here is a link for you which I know will help, at least for the situation in NYS.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hemp...&bih=815&dpr=1

Not too far from me on rt 313 which goes from NYS to VT there was a huge complex where mushrooms of all kinds were being grown and I used to go there to buy same.But they closed and some one else bought the place and applied for a license to grow hemp, but was turned down, I don't remember the reasons,but for each industrial grower the places where they wanted to grow hemp were visited to see if they met the specifications being asked for.

Carolyn