Thread: Tomato (like)
View Single Post
Old February 18, 2006   #5
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew Cisineros, Pineapple, Purple, Toma Verde, & Verde Puebla Tomatillos, all from TGS. The patch also included several volunteers from 2004. One of those was a great producer of huge tomatillos. I saved seeds from it to see if that will continue this year.

I learned the hard way that with one plant you don’t get very many fruit, if any at all. With 2 plants you’ll have pretty good production. Last year w\ 6 varieties they all really loaded up. Between the tomatillos and rosemary I think we had a whole hive of honey bees working the backyard. I’m going to find room for a few more plants this year.

We use ‘em mostly for making a green\enchilada sauce (onions, lime, tomatillos, garlic, cilantro, green chilies, oregano, cumin – blended and cooked down) and for fresh salsa. We still have quarts in the freezer. I like the Cisineros best but the Pineapple adds a good fruity, sweet taste.

Oh, and as said, they grow like weeds. Those small useless tomato cages are perfect for them as long as you get them on early and train the plants.

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote