Thread: Mr. Stripey
View Single Post
Old April 17, 2011   #31
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Yep, the photo is undoubtedly photo shopped to improve its' "desirability". I don't really blame Home Depot or the other big box stores for the misleading marketing. Bonnie Plants now seems to be the vegetable garden plant supplier for the three major big box stores. Talking with a Walmart garden center manager and a Bonnie Plant company regional sales rep. last year, I learned that Bonnie pretty much makes all the decisions specific to varieties sold at each location, and all marketing decisions. When the delivery truck arrives at the big box store, a Bonnie rep. determines the displays and then places the correct price stickers on the plants. It's almost as if the stores lease the space to Bonnie to sell the plants and then collects the money and shares the profits. I really liked Bonnie plants at one time and admired the company history (it's a small business to mega business success story), but I now avoid their product line with a vengeance due to their quality and aggressive marketing style.

Ted
Yeah, I agree, Ted. I didn't mean HD should be ashamed. Its Bonnie that should be ashamed. It's like, "Come on, guys! Hot pink stripes?! Buddy..."
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote