View Single Post
Old November 17, 2018   #35
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcrawler View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for a red cherry to grow next year here in Tulsa. I'm looking for one that's sweet and tangy, if possible. My plan right now is to grow Sun Sugar, Black Cherry, and KARMA Pink. I'd like to add a red cherry to complement that list. I've tried Tommy Toe before and didn't like it very much. I've grown Super Sweet 100 several times, and it's okay. But I'm looking for something different than that. It doesn't have to be open-pollinated, but I tend to lean in that direction.

Thanks!

Lee
What you seem to be looking for is a red version of Sungold. I've been looking, too. There are several red cherries that are very sweet but missing that tang. I think if a red cherry with high sweetness along with a tang were developed, it would be immensely popular. Sungold has set a bar that has yet to be equaled.

With all the varieties of toms that exist, there is still something - something very worthwhile - for tomato breeders to shoot for ... the elusive, very sweet/delightfully tangy red cherry tom.

The best red cherry for high sweetness I've grown so far is Nectar. It's an F1 developed by Park's. It's similar to SS100 but the fruit is bigger and sweeter. The plant has good vigor where I am in zone 7A. The seeds are on the expensive side.
e.thad is offline   Reply With Quote