View Single Post
Old March 5, 2017   #41
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

For those that haven't seen it, there's a thread here about 150 yr old seed. Makes for interesting reading.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34115

I hope the seeds Luke got were for real. Hopefully if the plant grows out, he might consider getting a DNA test. I can't go to the sites he's on with my dial up, but maybe somebody who does and follows him will tell him to do it.

Wish I knew where his seed came from. Not to say this happened, but there lots of old envies being sold on ebay and such and it not hard to open a packet of seeds and re-glue to where it looks like it never been opened.

I'd be excited to see seed that old of seed offered just for the novelty of having it.

Something I would question is how the seed was stored. Could 87 year old seed germinate? Possibly, but I think a lot would have to do with how the seeds were stored to make sure the embyro inside stayed just moist enough to keep the seed from drying out and rendering it useless.

I'm sitting here with an unopened package of Straight 8 cucumber seeds packed for 1990. The seed came from an elderly lady in a box of stuff I got from her garage sale. Do I expect the seed to germinate? I doubt it, but the seed was free and what the heck, my give it a try. I haven't even opened the package yet to see what shape the seeds are in. They may be full of holes by now and dead.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote