View Single Post
Old November 4, 2011   #4
O.P. Mater
Tomatovillian™

Semi-Lucid, are you still working on this? I made the glue you are talking about with corn syrup. It did a pretty good job, but wanted to slide off the colored plastic cups I put it on. I used several colors trying to catch thrips, but it seemed that the yellow worked out best for the ones in SC. Apparently eugenol is an attractant, so I dipped one end of a Q-tip into a bottle of clove oil and punched a hole in the cup to hold it. It did help lure them.

I had better luck when I ordered a 15 oz container of Sticky Trap....it is really sticky and I caught cucumber beetles easily. It did not have the strength to catch Squash Bugs or Stink Bugs. I almost believe the sticky traps to catch mice might work on the larger bugs, but I haven't tried it yet. I did catch a cute little lizard in one of them and discovered that you can "catch and release" without harm if you put oil on the critter...:-) My PSA for the day. Am interested in what you are doing. Do you think squishing the squash bugs and adding that to the glue would work?
O.P. Mater is offline   Reply With Quote