View Single Post
Old December 2, 2012   #63
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Paleo, Gluten-Free Chicken, Smoked Sausage and Okra Gumbo

http://tinaturbin.com/chicken-smoked...nd-okra-gumbo/
November 16th, 2012

This hearty recipe was originally contributed by the amazing LD Sledge and I made minor changes. As a result it is Paleo and Gluten-Free. I do not use the rice. I serve this over spiral zucchini noodles as described below. Sorry LD…

LD Sledge is a true Louisiana man! If you do not know of him do a Google. He is quite a prolific writer and with his background in law, his writing is loaded with mystery and excitement!

INGREDIENTS:
1 large fryer chicken (weighs between 1 ˝ and 4 lbs)
3 yellow onions
1 bunch green onions
1 bell pepper
3 ribs celery
3 gloves garlic (or add more)
˝ tsp parsley flakes
2 lbs. smoked sausage (Tina's homemade or hormone-free)
2 lbs. fresh okra (or 3 bags frozen okra), preferably cut up
To taste:
Cayenne pepper
Black pepper
Seasoned salt
Garlic powder
Onion powder

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut up the fryer chicken and take the skin off. Wash the chicken and pat until only damp. Liberally put on the cayenne and black pepper with the seasoned salt, garlic and onion powder. Rub it in well.

2. Put a couple tbsp oil in a skillet and brown the chicken on all sides. Set the chicken aside.

3. Using the same skillet or pot where you browned the chicken, make a roux (pronounced "roo," as in "too"). (Ask anybody from South Louisiana how to cook something and they will say, "First you make a roux.")

Heat ˝ c oil with ˝c. flour: an equal mix of tapioca, coconut and almond (LD prefers a cast iron skillet) until it is a deep golden brown. Do this slowly as the grain free flours need slower heating than wheat!!! You'll have to stir it steadily to keep it from caking up or burning.

4. Cut up your vegetables and sauté them in the roux (you may have to add a bit of oil) until they are softened. (They say melt the onions.) Do this for two to three minutes, but I usually take longer until they are no longer crisp.

5. Add the sausage to the roux and veggies and heat for another 5 mins or so. (In my last batch, I only had a pound of sausage, but I could've used some more.)

6. Add a can of tomatoes or ripe and fresh is better.

7. I have a huge cast iron pot. I transfer the roux, veggies and sausage to the pot. (Try not to use an aluminum pot!!!!!!)

8. Add 3 quarts of water, and then add the chicken.

9. Bring to a boil and then set to simmer.

10. Put some oil in a skillet and dump the okra in, and cook it until all the slime is gone. Try to cook until it is almost dry if you can without burning it. You need to constantly turn it to get most of the liquid out. Some people object to the slimy effect if you put it in the gumbo without cooking it like this first.

11. Dump the okra in the pot.

12. Add seasonings of garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and about 1 ˝ tsp parsley flakes. I add a bay leaf or two.

13. Simmer for a couple of hours. Some cook it for less time. I like to cook it down a bit until it's soupy and thickened a bit and the chicken and sausage are well done. The chicken will usually become shredded and end up scattered throughout. I sometimes take the chicken out halfway through and remove the bones. This will give a good distribution of chicken.

14. Taste as you go, keeping an eye on the gumbo as it cooks and see if it needs salt or anything else. I like it hot and add Cajun seasoning like Tony's or Cajun's Choice or some other that gives a little heat and flavor.

15. Serve over grain-free zucchini noodles.LD tops it off with a bit of Tabasco or hot sauce to make sure it's hot enough for his liking.

Note: Gumbo can be frozen, and it tastes even better after kind of marrying up with itself for a time in the fridge.

Happy, Healthy and Delicious Eating, Tina Turbin
www.tinaturbin.com

Paleo Gluten-Free Enthusiast and Critically-Acclaimed Author Tina Turbin Wins Instagram Paleo Recipe Contest
http://news.yahoo.com/paleo-gluten-f...060246131.html
PRWeb – 6 hrs ago

Gluten-Free Advocate Tina Turbin's Paleo Soup Recipe Receives the Highest Number of InstagramUser Votes

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) November 29, 2012

Tina Turbin (http://www.TinaTurbin.com), the paleo gluten-free diet advocate and multi-award-winning author, was announced the winner of a paleo soup contest held on Instagram and hosted by Marian Mendenhall of HashtagPaleo.com. The announcement generated a constant flow of new followers to @PaleoGlutenFreeRecipes, Turbin's Instagram account, for over 36 hours.

Marian Mendenhall, who runs HashtagPaleo.com and @HastagPaleo on Instagram, announced Turbin as the winner for the most public votes with the launch of HashtagPaleo's new YouTube channel on Thanksgiving Day. HashtagPaleo is a community-oriented hub for people interested in the paleo diet, CrossFit exercise program, and healthy living. Through her Wordpress blog, Facebook page, Twitter page, and Instagram account, Mendenhall connects followers with Paleo, CrossFit, and health-oriented resources.

Tina Turbin inadvertently entered Mendenhall's Paleo recipe contest when she posted a recipe for a paleo gluten-free soup on her popular Instagram profile (@PaleoGlutenFreeRecipes) with a hashtag for HashtagPaleo. Unbeknownst to Turbin, the photo featuring her paleo gluten-free chicken, smoked sausage, and okra gumbo recipe was chosen as the winner across all of Intagram by public votes.

"I didn't understand the constant stream of new followers of my Instagram account, and then I found out that I was the winner of HashtagPaleo's contest," Turbin explained. The author wrote on her Instagram account, "Thank you to HashtagPaleo for supporting the paleo purpose [and] lifestyle and helping so many people. You are to be totally commended and supported!"

As a leading celiac and paleo gluten-free advocate, Turbin has appeared on numerous radio shows and has published hundreds of articles on websites such as celiac.com and celiac.org. In the gluten-free community, Turbin is best known as the founder of GlutenFreeHelp.info, a widely popular resource for celiacs and gluten-free individuals. Voted the #2 .info website in the world out of over 6 million registered .info websites, GlutenFreeHelp.info exerts far-reaching influence and is currently managed by Turbin's celiac daughter, Miranda Jade Turbin.

According to News.CNET.com, less than three months after announcing its last milestone of 50 million users, Instagram has passed the 80 million user mark. This means that the app has managed to increase its user base by more than 10 million users on average per month. According to Instagram, "We're excited to announce that the Instagram community has grown to over 80 million registered users who have shared nearly 4 billion photos! Since we launched Instagram in October 2010, we've expanded from one platform to two, bringing Instagram to Android users as well as iOS users."

"HashtagPaleo's contest is just another example of why I love Instagram so much," Turbin went on to say. "The level of interaction is so high, and I've made so many personal friends on Instagram. The community support is wonderful, fast and easy."

Tina Turbin is the multi-award-winning author of Danny the Dragon Meets Jimmy, the critically-acclaimed first book in Turbin's illustrated children's book series. You can find out more about Turbin's children's books at http://www.TinaTurbin.com.
###

TO BOOK TINA TURBIN FOR AN INTERVIEW OR SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT: Contact ImaginationPublishingGroup(at)gmail(dot)com

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT DANNY THE DRAGON: Visit http://www.DannytheDragon.com.

TO PURCHASE DANNY THE DRAGON PRODUCTS: Contact Imagination Publishing Group at ImaginationPublishingGroup(at)gmail(dot)com or call 888-701-6481. Also available through: Amazon.com, Victory Multimedia, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster Video, Baker and Taylor, and other major distributors.
Danny the Dragon Meets Jimmy DVD: 837654741191, $24.95

Danny the Dragon Meets Jimmy paperback: 978-0-9800-721-0-5, $8.95

Danny the Dragon Dreams CD/Audiobook: 978-0-9800-721-3-6, $8.95

ABOUT TINA TURBIN: Tina Turbin wrote her first story at age sixteen, and has since gone on to enjoy tremendous success as a multi-award-winning author, humanitarian, and researcher. Working for many years in Los Angeles with children in the Entertainment Business, she remains an active supporter of children, families, and education and works as an advocate in the many arenas of literacy and celiac disease. The Danny the Dragon series fulfills a passion of hers to delight and entertain through her enchanting characters. Her many styles of writing convey to the young and young at heart. Turbin resides in her East and West Coast studios.
###
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote