View Single Post
Old October 2, 2019   #34
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Today I went back to square one with the turnips and wet newspaper sections.

I took the shade off, got rid of all the seedlings, sowed new seed and put wet newspapers over the row again. This time I'll check for germination *every* day, even tomorrow!

After forking up the bed for garlic yesterday morning I discovered that I had done the wrong bed by forking the one next to the garlic bed. The bed I did will be fallow until spring but since it was covered in weeds it needed to be cleaned out anyway.

The brassicas under the shade I put up are happy and doing really well. This is inside the brussels, collard, kale bed.

This is the broccoli-cauliflower bed and they have a slight case of the "mid afternoon heat droops".

I worried about the peas and remembered I had some old bed sheets in the shed and threw them over the pea fences. The peas aren't happy, especially the row on the far side of the bed. I'm thinking nematodes as there was some evidence of them on beans grown on that side of the bed this spring.

And finally, I moved the curing sweet potatoes from the garden shed to the back of my car. The shed is in the shade until about 1pm, then in the sun until about 5pm. I didn't think they were getting enough heat so I put them the car with a remote thermometer in there with them. They are in the plastic bags to keep humidity high but with holes to let excess moisture out.

With all windows down 2", the temp had been holding around 97 but the next time I looked it was 101! The baskets were moved to the shady front porch where it was 95. I've done this before and it worked just fine.

COME ON, WEEKEND COOL SPELL!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote