View Single Post
Old July 24, 2011   #1
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Default Tomatopalooza™ 9 Event and Pictures

We had over 166 different varieties represented and sampled by ~80 folks. Thanks go out to Lori and Brian for a superb job of planning and executing the event, and all of the amazing help from Tim, Lynn, and Bret! We survived the 103° heat with a little shade and plenty of water.

For me, the day was dominated by the dwarf table where we had 52 distinct varieties in various stages of selection presented. Rosella Purple was my favorite here, although Sweet Sue, Maralinga, Summertime Gold, Summertime Green, and Sweet Adelaide were additional standouts. We also had our newest dwarf F1, Brawny here with 3 F2 selections I brought. Also preset were a few from the Rosy Line (Rosy F3 and Uluru Ochre) that have a unique green/orange coloration. The red table was rather unremarkable for me. Even my Cuostralee, which I love, was not at its most flavorful. The standouts at the pinks were a large tasty Kosovo and Grandfather Ashlock. KBX was fantastic as usual in the orange/yellow category and it was fun sampling the various Cherokee Purples and Chocolates that were brought in that section. The greens were fantastic again this year, with Cherokee Green and Spear’s Tennessee Green having great flavors. The cherries sampled well again this year, but the standouts to me were Sungold Select II (about as close to the hybrid as there gets!) and Black Cherry. And of course, we had Lime Green Salad Sorbet for all to trial. It was a perfect treat for such a hot day!
It was great seeing old friends and new faces. I hope everyone had a great time, and we look forward to next year’s 10th anniversary event!

For photos, check out the links at http://tomatopalooza.org/

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote