View Single Post
Old August 17, 2012   #1
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Default Growing Seedlings in flats

I'm fairly experienced in growing seedlings. I start a lot of tomatoes and peppers every year to sell to friends, co workers and some farmers market growers. I start them out in the little six packs sowing a half dozen or so seeds per cell and then transplanting to 4 inch pots and growing them out to sell or plant in my garden. I have a customer who would like me to start and grow out to transplant size two varieties of peppers in 96 cell flats. One flat for each variety. I am looking for pointers on what I may need to do differently with this method of growing. Will I have to feed periodicly since the plant will have much less medium to draw nutients from? I'm sure diligent watering will be a must since the small cell will tend to dry out quickly with a big root system drawing from it. I grow in a small green house that is heated at night when nessesary. I usually start my plants around the third week of January. Will seedlings grown this way grow faster, slower or at the same rate? I am looking forward to getting some experience at growing with this method. I'd like to get some advice to avoid any pitfalls that may be on the horizon. Thanks in advance for any help.
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote