View Single Post
Old June 22, 2017   #24
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Growing just Brandywine is fine. After all Cowlick's and Suddoth are both just Brandywine's that someone has named as a strain. I have grown both and I also have grown "Brandywine". I have a Brandywine that has surpassed both the popular strains in production. Flavor, no. All of them are Brandywine and have the same flavor. So, enjoy those Brandywine plants that you have gotten!
I think I may have to agree. I have grown about every BW I could get my hands on, the BW Pink, Sudduth's, Cowlick's are very similar. I do give Sudduth's a slight edge in taste consistency year after year, but not always, Cowlick's seems to yield a bit more, but not always.

A good investment in breeding a line, in any given area for years, could slightly alter it from the source, as well as any unmentioned cross in time.

Here is the million dollar question, "how old is the pink BW (anything) we have today? Correct me if I am wrong, but the J.S. original was red, and the seed obtained from Sudduth was not all pure. I am going off of memory with those remarks, and there is a chance I am mixing up my thoughts, but that is how I remember the tale.

Nowadays, I think BW makes better breeding stock than just growing it. IMHO
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote