Thread: I'm Smoking it
View Single Post
Old January 14, 2019   #69
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunosoura View Post
Rajun, have you ever fiddled around with any of the reverse flow mods for offset smokers? That's always seemed like a logical idea to me. Am curious to know if you have any experience...
No I don't have a reverse flow and haven't used one but the concept makes sense. I thought about converting mine into a reverse flow when I did the mods but the plate I added to the side wasn't big enough for the new exhaust stack I bought to fit properly. Here's the thread with the mods I made.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47240

I have since added the other stack on the opposite side of the firebox and it's made a big difference holding heat inside. I run it with the new stack wide open and it has a better draw being bigger than the original. I especially like the fact the original stack is higher in the cooking chamber and when I throw a log on I crack it open too and flush the dirty smoke out faster.

I added more baffle plates and that holds heat great while allowing the smoke to move around the chamber.

I flipped the door around and it fit better that way, this also lowered the thermometer close to the grate level like it should be.

I'm still tinkering with it and next might be a new firebox made with 3/8" wall thickness pipe and maybe convert it to a reverse flow with a big water pan. The thought has occurred to build a nice insulated cabinet smoker to save room and be able to use it for slow smoking sausage too.