View Single Post
Old March 6, 2018   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

As someone who has dealt with nematode infested soil in my garden for around 40 years I have found a few things that do work. Add lots of organic matter and add peat to the soil as it will also help retain moisture. If you can till in some fresh horse manure it seems to cause a definite drop in nematode populations.

For tomatoes I have found that grafting onto good nematode and fusarium resistant root stock is the best way possible to grow healthy tomato plants with the least nematode damage. Heavy mulch that cools the soil and also maintains the moisture level is essential especially for some nematode susceptible crops like cucumbers and okra. If the soil is very sandy then it is almost impossible to control nematodes as even nematode resistant varieties will sometimes be affected by them.

This is purely anecdotal but it seems that where my worm populations are the highest in my garden are the areas with the least nematode problems. This could be just the presence of the worms where the most organic matter is or it could be that where soil is conducive to active worm populations is that soil with high worm populations is not good for RKN.

Good luck because if my experience is any indicator you are in for a long and never ending battle; but one that you can win with persistent soil building and mulching.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote