View Single Post
Old October 2, 2019   #33
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have had my hummingbird feeders out since spring and didn't see a single one until a week ago and saw three in one day. My guess is they are just passing through because there just aren't a lot of flowers around for them to get any nectar out of.
We get hordes of them every year but this year there seemed to be slightly less. Haven't seen one for several weeks but will keep the feeder up until Oct 15.

Quote:
...all the flowering plants that are attractive to hummingbirds are without any flowers and near death.
The zinnias and marigolds in the garden are on their last legs with funky leaves. But there are still a lot of butterflies still messing with them so I keep deadheading to encourage new blooms.

Quote:
...My Pappadew, Cayenne and Jalapeno peppers are all loaded and have been producing like crazy but they need water at least every other day....I am also removing any bell pepper plants that have reached that stage where all they produce is small peppers so I don't waste my time and money watering them only to get peppers the size of golf balls or smaller.
My jalapenos are loaded too and so is the Ancho but the Ancho is loaded with little peppers that won't grow much. And unlike the others, that one looks droopy in the morning so I'm wondering if nematodes are afoot. Guess I'll find out when I finally pull the plant.

Quote:
First of next week the days are supposed to be in the 80s with nights in the mid to lower 60s so as soon as I get a day in the 80s I'll be starting some seed in the greenhouse, planting some greens in the garden and praying for some rain.
I hear that! Same here and I even saw Tuesday with a 78 high and 58 low. The brassicas in the garden will love that!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote