Thread: School Lunches
View Single Post
Old September 30, 2010   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

The local food movement is sweeping the nation, although I think in name only. Logistics as mentioned in the article and regulations concerning food sources are roadblocks to getting the produce from grower to users.

For several years we took our excess produce to a local retirement home and from all reports, it was greatly appreciated and reminded residents of the time when they all had garden produce. A year ago as we took in green beans, tomatoes and peppers we were told that due to state regulations, all produce must come from a regulated source with a contract to the retirement home. Our fresh, home grown stuff did not meet the requirement that it was sold by a produce company.

When I contacted the company with the contract as to the source of their produce, it mostly came from Latin American farms and mostly from Mexico. When asked about quality and safety controls, I was told that there were none. They just bought from a broker and loaded their trucks from a warehouse.

So, even though the local managers of the home wanted fresh, safe, tasty fruits and vegetables, state regulations are in place to provide residents with food with unknown histories.

I was not trying to sell anything, just give it away. I guess my produce could potentially be as harmful as Mexican produce, but I know better.

Hopefully the local food proponents can get around some of the problems and open the door to local growers.