View Single Post
Old January 15, 2018   #229
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice, Oakley. I'll keep the piece of t shirt in mind for next time.
Last night I put warm water in the mister for their first wetting. And since it was cool I decided to put them on the mat just for a couple hours then unplugged at bedtime.
I noticed before that herbs in particular seem to like a warm/cool day/night cycle for quickest germination, especially celery. So heat mat in the daytime then off it at night.
Will take them right off it when germination starts, as you said, and be patient.
I'm planning to scavenge a few plants from the edges to pot up , so round two of herb munching will be more substantial and sustainable. The purpose of the micros for us will be something fresh quickly, until we get baby greens big enough to cut and come again.
Except for a pack of radish seed, everything I'm using for micros is seed I harvested myself and have a lot of, the herbs and lettuce and kale. One thing I will do, is think about micros when I decide what I'm saving seed from this year, so I can try some different ones. Those radish sprouts look really substantial, I'm looking forward to them!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote