Thread: Mr. Stripey
View Single Post
Old April 15, 2011   #21
tedln

Thanks Camo and Carolyn. That is a very interesting lineage for todays "Mr. Stripey". It will be interesting to watch the plant and taste the fruit simply to see which plant the greenhouse supplier labeled as "Mr Stripey" when he planted the seed.

I can't regulate my water supply for individual plants because I use a buried soaker hose to water the entire row. Fortunately I have it regulated with a flow disc and timer to minimize the amount of water the row gets. We just received a little rain after four months of no rain. My tomatoes or garden would not exist without supplemental water. I think it is interesting that my Mr. Stripeys are growing right next to some Box Car Willies. One comment I read on the Box Car Willies is that they prefer to grow in constantly wet, soggy, soil. They supposedly would be happy growing in two inches of water. There is no possible way to satisfy the needs of both plants unless I pull out the soaker hose and install drip irrigation. While I do have drip irrigation in some places, I'm not going to install it in the entire garden.

Thanks again for the information.

Ted