View Single Post
Old September 10, 2014   #29
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Here we have close proximity to virtually every kind of ethnic restaurant as well as HUGE international markets that cater to just about any needed ingredient. There are even markets that cater to specific regional needs. With the world's busiest international airport folks from all over flock to Atlanta and have some communities carved up into their own turf. What I have yet to find is a truly authentic Mexican restaurant; almost all cater to the anglo tastes or are TexMex. Used to love to travel to San Jose when the Silicon Valley was the Santa Clara valley and enjoy blue corn tortillas and dishes with cream based sauces, not just chile or tomato based.

Too, I have traveled all over Mexico and loved the differences in the regional cuisines. The best thing ever was empanadas con pollo cooked atop a 50 gallon drum by an old, old lady. However, when she handed me arroz con pollo with countless numbers of flies making kamikaze dives into the pot, I made a starving dog around the corner of the Acapulco Princess very happy.

My secret to avoiding enteritis was a constant flow of Tequila immediately after eating. It was so hot out that it sweated right through me. Have yet to find empanadas here. When I saw all of the meat arrayed on a plywood sheet in the markets, again swarming with flies and sitting all day in the hot sun, I thought the folks there must have incredible natural immunities. Now, thanks to Rick Bayless, I would love to travel around Baja, but those days are past.

One last note, we are now seeing restaurants that specialize in the cuisines of central and south America, as well as the Caribbean countries. Delicious! Even found a real eastern NC style BBQ place now.

With the vote on the 18th in Scotland we may some day see Haggis and blood sausage. That would be a real change from the morning sausage biscuit! Wonder if I could find cuy in Atlanta.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote