View Single Post
Old August 27, 2021   #5
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Update! I planted two into the ground in some else's yard (not pictured), and each has two fruits. The plants themselves are small.

A third plant was skipped, forgot to plant, and died.

Pictured are remaining three on my balcony: one in a 5-gallon self-watering grow-bucket setup, and the other two in a 22 gallon growbag. The 22 gallon grow bag plants have a fresh 3-1-1 mix (bark, peat, pumice), amended with some lime and organic dry fertilizer. The vines have grown well, have had so many blooms that even attracted many bees to my balcony, but not a single fruit. Each had a few female flowers blooming early, before any male flowers, then nothing but male flowers. The vines have slowed down in growth and I don't see many more flowers. Some powdery mildew beginning to show up (argh!!).

The bucketed plant was in the 3-2-1 mix (peat, bark, pumice) with lime mixed in and a ring of fertilizer near the top. It took a while to establish, and when it finally did, the first female flower was pollinated quickly and set fruit!! It's perched a bit precariously, but I'm hoping for it to keep healthy before it gets cold here.

Next time, I'll start with one and then plant the others a couple weeks later.. assuming the blooming trend will be same next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balcony trio.jpg (255.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg cantaloupe baby.jpg (208.4 KB, 57 views)
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote