View Single Post
Old November 14, 2011   #4
Iva
Tomatovillian™

I second that!

But you have to know something, you can pick AAA Sweet Solano in two stages:

1. is when the fruit turns yellow and looses most of it's green stripes, the taste in that stage is very citrusy, I'm not saying tart, because I really like my tomatoes sweet, it's more like a really tasty lemonade with lots of sugar. It can be used in salads, on sandwiches, well for anything at this stage.
2. is when the fruit turns almost orange and becomes softer, most people would call this overripe but I call it tomato heaven, as you pick the fruit and you just suck out the inside of it, it tastes almost as sweet as honey with just a hint of citrus. You really can't cut it up nicely at this stage, but I ate them like snacks any time of the day, it was like candy to me...

Best tomato this year, by far! Highly recommend it!

I've also grown:
-Sweet Carneros Pink, which should be called Mr.Sour, didn't like this one at ll. Although too bad, as it was madly productive and beautiful to look at.

-Brad's Black Heart, tasted good, has that 'black tomato' aroma, but I was very disappointed in production and unbelievable deep cracking on every fruit.

-Pink Berkley Tie-dye, low production, pretty fruit, nothing remarkable, I'd actually call it bland

-Haley's Purple Comet, tasted very complex, lots of sugar lots of acid, it was a real taste bomb, loved the taste, but production was pretty low for such a small tomato, I only got about 50 cherry to golf sized fruits from it. Not enough for what I consider a 'cherry type' tomato...
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote