Thread: Beware!
View Single Post
Old July 7, 2012   #42
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

tam

running bamboo is rather hard and the older the plant the harder it will be to get rid of. However, for those that have a neighbor who didn't do their work before planting it, you can just mow it down when you see the shoot. Running bamboo can send a runner out as far away as 25-40 feet, this is why it can take over a neighbor in a few season, especially if it is a tropical being grown in the tropical areas of the US. When tropicals are grown in northern climate it isn't as invasive due to the cold keeping it more in check.

I have a black runner bamboo but it is confined to a pot, this way my neighbor will still love having me as their neighbor...LOL

oldhamii does have one of the better tasting shoots and many folks grow this runner in order to harvest the shoots. The best flavor of the shoots is when you first see them break ground to cover with a black pot, once it reaches the height of the pot (you will see the pot hanging above the ground as the shoot has lifted it off the ground) take the pot off and dig below ground level, pop the shoot bring inside and peel off outer coverings, many ways to eat, grilled broiled or in a pot of good chicken broth. Yummy.

If you live in warmer climates and still love the runners then yes most certainly place a bearer down to keep it in check, then you and your neighbors are happy.

I forgot to add that by limited the new shoots from sunlight increases the sweetness of the shoot.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by meadowyck; July 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: to add one comment
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote