Thread: Dr. Dester
View Single Post
Old September 28, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
Has anybody ever heard about this variety? It's introduced on Baker Creek's Facebook page. History of the tomato is given below:

"A large pink beefsteak variety that reaches 1-1 ˝ pounds. Its rich sweet flavor makes it an excellent slicer. The seed came to us from an Amish lady just a few miles from our Baker Creek farm. Anna worked as a house cleaner for Dr. Dester and his wife in Indiana in the 1970's. Having acquired the seed from Germany, the Desters shared their favorite tomato seed with Anna, who treasured it and now shares it with us."
Sure have heard of it and here's a thread from several weeks ago about it. It was given to SSE last year for their taste testing by Larry Pierce and seeds were also available last Fall from the SSE Public catalog and seeds also available from Larry Pierce himself, his website is linked to in the thread and I gave it below as well, and it was he who gave the seeds to SSE.

When I was interviewed by Dennis this past late summer, he lives about an hour from me, he brought two HUGE Dester fruits with him for me, I took a big bite from each and set up both for fermentation.

I thought the taste was terrific. Dester took 1st place in the SSE taste event last year and 2nd place this past summer.

Then a really nice Tville member sent me several hundreds of seeds so I could offer it in my next Seed offer here.

So Baker Creek either bought seeds last Fall from the SSE public catalog or bought them from Larry Pierce,

Here's the link:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20540

I'm not sure why Baker Creek said that Anna shared it with them when it was Anna who first gave the seeds to Larry. if you click on ABOUT at his website you'll see that he grows stuf for SSE and maybe he grows for Baker Creek as well.

http://www.piercenaturalfarm.com/seeds.html