View Single Post
Old November 8, 2018   #20
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Would the 1800' of blackberry hedge be a permanent part of the landscape? If so, I think it will take you 2-3 years to get there. Planting a piece of root every 10' will take 180 root cuttings. That's a lot of digging them up (finding the good ones) and transplanting (I've done ~50 in half a day). If you loosen the soil and water only where you want them to spread, they should fill-in in 2-3 years. Planting every 5 feet means 360 root cuttings, but it would likely fill-in in only 2 years. I wouldn't want to be the one to cut down 1800' of 2-year old

dead floricanes and haul them away, every year.
If they're not going to be permanent, it'll then take you ~4 years to eradicate them.
I am looking for them to be permanent. The township limits hard roadside fencing to 4 foot high, but they don't limit the soft-scape fencing. I was planning to propagate by stem cuttings, not by root, and using a mower or bushhog to keep the stray growth in check.
I'll cut some stems this weekend and see if they root for me in damp peatmoss and sand mix, but I'm still not sure this is the right time of year to do that.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote