View Single Post
Old February 28, 2021   #367
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Thanks for the grow reports Harry.

So far this spring, I have planted about 3000 tomato seeds. Just about all of them are for the Beautifully Promiscuous and Tasty Tomatoes project. So they are wild species, and inter-species hybrids, and back-crosses to both the wild ancestors and domestic ancestors.

I continue work on domesticating the wild species. Selecting them for larger, sweeter fruits, and for local-adaptation to my growing conditions and short-season.

I am expecting one more batch of inter-species hybrid seed from a collaborator. At this point, I'm expecting to plant those into the greenhouse, for some fall frost protection.

I love this project. It has captured my heart and imagination. And the flavors!!!! Oh my.
Joseph, what species are you working with? I remember S. peruvianum, S. habrochaites, and S. pimpinellifolium,anything else? I want to plant a few this year and I do wonder how much I have to try to encourage them to cross ..Last year I have tried to cross Neorickii or just save seeds but I have made a mistake and planted it in a planter not in a ground, and when the heat wave came it lost all fruits:/ By the way, amazing carrots ![huge carrot fan here]

Last edited by loeb; February 28, 2021 at 04:22 PM.
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote