View Single Post
Old April 28, 2023   #90
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
How big is everybody's Sungold F1 fruit? I got one plant with all large fruit last year, as wide as 2" across as I remember, similiar to Mountain Magic, wonderful flavour. So I saved seeds and planted a couple of F2s this year, got the same large fruit that taste as good as any regular Sungold F1s. I will keep growing this next year again. The original seeds are from a trade labelled as F1, all grew true. I grew Sungolds from Johnny's for a few years before, so I am familiar with the variety, just never got the bigger fruit.
Here's a picture of the large ones vs. regular sized ones . The reference coin is a Canadian Toonie(1.1"). Or the large one is regular and I've been growing the off type smaller ones all these years and didn't know it?!
Does anyone know if NewWestGardener continued developing this 2" Sungold? There's a photo with their original post about it. I couldn't find any updates. I love making sauce out of roasted Sungolds, but it's a lot of processing effort with the high percentage of skins and seeds, so a saladette or larger version would be amazing.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote