View Single Post
Old April 26, 2017   #2753
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Larry,

Are all of those beans similar in type and taste? The batch you posted a picture of sure do look good!

Ginny
I think Cassidy and Pike are probably examples of very good commercial beans. They have the look - darker green color, long straight pods, slender sieve 2 and 3. Also, they have a fairly concentrated set (good for 1 shot machine harvesting), very good production and good plant habit,i.e. they stand up well. They are tender and for me the taste is pretty much what you'd expect in a good quality store bought bean. Pike may have a bit stronger bean flavor, at least to me.
I like Crockett because it also has the look, good plant habit, but it is also continuous, which for me, means I can get about 5 picks out of it. Also the taste is quite good. Crockett is also quite disease resistant.
Jade is a medium green, continuous, productive, sieve 3 - 4, heat and rust resistant and tastes good as well.
Contender is also continuous, productive, sieve 3 -4, and tastes good, but for me it has poor plant habit and tends to sprawl on the ground.
Espada is medium green, very productive, extremely disease resistant, sieve 3 - 4, continuous (up to 7 picks), plant habit is average and taste is ok but for me not great.
Furano Romano is a much different shape and I expected a different taste but not for me. I found it tasting just like another bean. I won't grow again.
Of course this is what I experience with these bean varieties, with my soil medium and my challenging climate. Others with richer soil and a different climate may have much different results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Larry I can see your pictures easily, and I would love that bowl of beans. I have 2 bean plants, and they have had a losing battle with spider mites, but I am still getting a few, and they are so sweet. I like your experiment and reports too. 5 successive crops in the same bed, wow! I bet your broccoli was wonderful, it surely looked gorgeous.
Thank you Marsha.
After all those months of eating fresh Broccoli, now I'm doomed to eating Broccoli from the freezer. It just isn't the same.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; April 26, 2017 at 05:05 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote