View Single Post
Old August 24, 2017   #160
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
I had my first Dotson's Lebanese Heart today. It weighed in at one pound. I have another ripe one, but it has BER. Unfortunately, my plant has not been as vigorous as the ones grown south of Michigan. I only have a few very small tomatoes starting that probably won't mature, as well as new flowers, It may have to acclimate more to this climate to be productive for me.

The flavor was marvelous. It was sweet and juicy, though it had the meatiness associated with hearts. Loved it. Thanks for the seeds, Darin.
Thanks for that feedback, Nancy! I hope the flavor was good enough to earn another spot in your garden next year, it may go gangbusters! One thing I have noticed, some seedlings are just incredibly more vigorous than others, which is typical I believe for most varieties. The monster I had was the most vigorous at the seedling stage, while the "runt" tailed behind and grew more slowly. It ended up producing about 20 tomatoes, but the big one produced close to 50 fruit! So if you do try it again, plant 3 or 4 seeds and select the most vigorous of those.

Thank you again!

Darin
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote