Thread: Hearts!
View Single Post
Old July 3, 2012   #64
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
Seems that you and I have continueing disagreements over the years. I never said Wes was wispy or droopy. I said most hearts are spindly. Remember, I grow mostly Brandywine, Brandywine crosses or Brandywine types with large potato leafed plants that grow tall and full. Put any heart tomato anywhere near them and it will look spindly and unhealthy. It might taste great, but it doesn't look great, it doesn't even look like it would live to see the next day.
Then too, I cage all my tomatoes so they stand tall and fill their cages with their gigantic leaves and heavy fruit. You seem to favor sprawling yours on the ground where you really cannot see what's going on or how they really look. Onto Kukla's
I went and dug up my letters, envelopes and homemade seed packets from Jackie T. Each Seed packet is clearly labeled and the one containing hearts, clearly says Portugese Bulls Heart. It doesn't say Kukla's at all. This was something you and I disagreed on in the past and I just decided to use the Kukla's name to avoid an argument. If I recall, at that time you also clamed it to be heart and not Bulls Heart. Then later on you were in touch with Jackie and reversed your outlook.
Anyway, it's not worth disagreeing about it. I too have sent seed to many, using the names as I had received them, until some time last year when I added the Kukla's name to them.
I also agree that Kukla's Portugese Beefsteak is the best tasting of the three Kukla Portugese tomatoes but this was about Hearts, therefore I didn't mention that fact.
I'm very sorry to hear that your gardens are a mess and that Freda hasn't been able to devote the time they really require. I cut back drasticly on the amount I'm growing this year. Instead of the hundreds I grew every year in the past, I only have 23 tomato plants, some herbs and some alliums. It makes everything so much easier. I watered this morning and it takes about 15 minutes ...tops. Weeding usally takes less than 1/2 hour. It's all, so much more pleasurable. No longer will I grow 300-400 tomatoes/year. As a matter of fact, once I see what amount of yield I get, and how many quarts we get canned, I may just reduce it even more in the future. I didn't realize just how enslaved I was by the gardens. It's nice to be free and be able to spend more time baking and cooking!
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote