View Single Post
Old September 23, 2017   #7
Mr Tickle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
I wonder if weather has a lot to do with flavor development. A couple of years back we spent time driving all over England, making sure we tasted tomatoes where ever we were. Most were grown in greenhouses rather than in-ground. Almost none had much flavor. The outdoor grown tomatoes mostly were small, salad style fruits.

Because of the wetter and cooler conditions, maybe more like our Pacific Northwest, those growers can add to Andrey's list of good tasting tomatoes for your weather and growing conditions.

Hi Paul, glad you managed to get across the pond and hope you enjoyed your holiday!

You're correct in that we mostly grow saladette and cherry types over here but ther is a big move towards op varieties and the big seed companies (T&m) are capitalising on the real food movement. A lot of colleagues at my allotment society have moved on to more obscure tomatoes from further afield.

I was wondering if it was a combination of low temp and low light that made our earlier fruits taste rubbish??

I was thinking to install a small greenhouses heater linked to a thermostat to try and bring the background temps up quicker in the season and see if that made any difference. Figured it'd be worth a try?...
Mr Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote