View Single Post
Old July 31, 2011   #17
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Martin, I'm feeling a synergy with your method. I didn't have a name for it, Tomato Conserva (aka Conserva di Pomodor), but I realize that most of my favorite home sauces amount to a reduction to something very similar to what you're describing. I found a basic recipe for this paste on the web here:
http://www.thedinnerfiles.com/2009/0...mato-conserva/

Is this similar to your process? How do you augment this recipe to include chunks? Just add them in fresh and uncooked (w/ seeds?) after completing the conserva? Do you think starting with frozen tomatoes will affect the result?

I was leaning towards pressing the Buy button on the Victorio, but after reviewing the above site, it looked like a colander might be simpler. Also, I need $ to buy those deep pans. I'm guessing one could also start with the Victorio press step and then bake down, but that might not result in the same stuff given the skins and seeds wouldn't be involved in the initial stove stop cooking, and who knows what goodness those impart (or bad?)

Tom, thanks for sharing your recipe. Didn't you call that salsa reduction or cream of salsa in a different thread?
--naysen
I do mine in a very slow oven, 200 degrees or less (no carmelization)....a convection oven is a plus. I don't think that using frozen tomato for the conserva without chunks would make a noticeable difference.

All my conserva is seedless, for the conserva with the chunks, I dice up firm well fleshed tomatoes and add the chunks to the conserva puree.

re: food mill

I don't have experience with the Victorio type mills, but I do have experince with the Foley type mills (Passatutto) like in the link you posted.

I would personally stay away from any Oxo product, I've had both good and bad experience with their products.....lately the bad has far out-weighed the good.

I have an old Foley food mill, a Macina-Legumi (made in Italy) and an old Chinoise food mill.

The Macina Legumi mills are available from Fantes...1 or 2 quart...#3880 @$27.99 and the #3881 @$34.99

http://fantes.com/food-mills.html#stainless

>Martin