View Single Post
Old July 17, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
What a wonderful addition this year! The first three were over a pound of a wonderful citrus-like flavor that lingered! No salt needed on these guys!

Plant is/was huge and healthy with plenty more smaller ones to come.

DEFINITELY will be back next year!

First pic are the first two 1 lb 1 oz tomatoes along with some larger Shannon's and an Orange Minsk in the upper right, along with my mystery green in the lower right with the much darker skin.

Second is one cut up next to a mystery green of mine.

Greg
And it looks like your GG had an amber blush as well,which was the topic of another thread here a bit ago.

I coudn't agree with you more on the excellence of Green Giant,and with the HoHo,I'm seeing that ad from the valley of the Green Giant..

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Green_Giant

Tania said no amber blush, she does grow some of her tomatoes in green houses,but what Craig got from Reinhard had no amber blush,so Craig sent seeds to quite a few folks,me included, and you'll note that Neil in IL got an amber blush,I did too,and when Craig contacted Reinhard about it,he said that he grows his tomatoes in greenhouses.

So it looks like whether one does or does not get an amber blush seems to depend on ambient temps in a given summer, which was also reported by many who SSE list it.

Is it my favorite GWRipe, I'm not sure,but there's also a thread here at Tvill about fave GWRpes,and right now all I remember that I listed was Cherokee Green and Malachite Box.

Carolyn