Thread: Ramapo Tomato
View Single Post
Old November 19, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama mater View Post
Has anyone grown this one before? It is a hybrid from Rutgers U.
Good heavens YES. It was one of the earliest hybnds bred and has stood the test of time as far as I'm concerned. A few years back it went out of seed production and that's when I got my hands on some F1 plants and F1 seeds, from Rutgers, and made some selections and ended up with an OP derivative.

I thought the OP was darn close to the F1 and if Barkeater comes long I think he'll say the same thing.

There are several threads here about Rutgers bringing back Ramapo F1 and when you find them I think you'll find lots of folks who think it's a great variety.

Actually I think that the F1 varieties bred early on by the Harris breeders are still some of THE best in terms of taste and production, and those include Supersonic, Moreton Hybrid and Jet Star.

And there was another one I loved called Star Pak, or something like that and when Harris sold out to Moran to become Harris Moran the tomato breeders went from Rochester, NY to CA and I ALMOST had someone convinced to send me seeds for the two parents. But alas, someone didn't think that would be a good idea and they never brought back my Star pak F1.

Yes, Rutger's brought it bac, along with Moreton Hybrid, which is another one of the earliest hybrids around and I think both Ramapo and Moreton F1 are now sold by Harris Seeds.

Grow it, you'll like it.