View Single Post
Old August 17, 2015   #40
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I am the world's worst squash grower. I can't have a successful crop of zucchini or summer squash. The Seminole is the only one I have ever had luck with. It is so resistant to almost everything from bugs to powdery mildew. Plus it can be picked young and green and cooked like zucchini or let it get ripe and it is better than butternut squash. I always just plant it in the ground somewhere and feed it Espoma Gardentone when planted and then once more when I think about. If I plant it in a raised bed and baby it, it never does well. I like to put one of the inexpensive 2 ft high fences you can get at the big box stores and run the vines through that.

One of my neighbors is from the Phillipines and is in her 80s. She never worked outside the home or learned to drive so she walks everywhere she goes. She brought me some seeds but I could not understand what she said they were. After the vine started putting on pretty peach flowers I found out it was Opo. I picked the only one it has produced today. It is 22 inches long and weighs 3 lbs. I have doubts about what it will taste like. It has been growing as long as the Seminoles so to me it does not deserve space in next year's garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150817_153237.jpg (33.6 KB, 100 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote