View Single Post
Old July 15, 2019   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I just love your trellis. Did you do anything to keep the bamboo from rooting in the ground? How did you get it in the ground? Did you dig a hole or pound it in? Sharpen the ends first? I have heard going in narrow side first helps,too. I have a bunch that I cut recently and I’m thinking about doing some trellises just like this.
We have a small bamboo thicket. It blocks road noise and gives us privacy,I think it also gives the garden some protection from pesticides as the other side of the road is a huge crop field that gets planted in a rotation of cotton,peanuts,soybeans and corn.
I love the bamboo. It’s beautiful and exotic,very fun to explore and harvest for projects,I feel like a Special Forces woman in my camouflage clothes with my machete and folding saw when I go out to cut it. I also harvest sprouts to eat sometimes,delicious.
If it spreads too far my husband just mows it down with the disc mower.
I’m actually considering planting another patch of it in another spot where I need privacy and using either black bamboo or some other large type used for building things. I do believe bamboo may be the future of the world. What other plant is delicious, and can be made into fiber,houses,boats,other construction, store carbon ,beautify a garden, provide habitat and food for wildlife and be quickly renewed?

Last edited by Tracydr; July 15, 2019 at 06:32 AM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote