View Single Post
Old April 24, 2019   #12
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
After chasing down garlic sources online I also got to thinking that it will be hard to get garlic early enough to do the 8 or so weeks of vernalization and plant when I usually do (mid October) when most sources don't ship until mid-late September.
How are your winters? Does the ground freeze at all? The Garlic Farm in UK recommends planting some varieties there in February, so you could try planting much later than you have done now.
Many times I have got seed stock so late that I could not plant anymore in the fall. I have then put those to refrigerator in beginning of January and planted to pots in beginning of March and transplanted to ground as soon the ground can be worked in May.

Formation of bulb is affected also by the changes in the day length. I wonder how the day length affects the growth, if your winters are so mild that the garlic can have top growth already during fall and winter.

You could experiment by keeping the garlic in refrigerator or cool storage and plant it in January of February. This way you could possibly grow even the hardier varieties, which need the really cold winters.

Sari