Thread: Oasis Cubes
View Single Post
Old November 26, 2018   #11
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Doe anyone use Oasis (or Rockwell cubes) to start seeds for non-hydroponic growing?

Just looking for a change of routine and possibly a neater option than Jiffy for in between sowings. Most sites I glanced at are geared to hydro and mothers. I'd like advice for things that I am used to growing at this time. How does this material compare to the common use for these products?

- Lisa
Have you seen the rapid rooter or Root riot products? I believe they are a peat based cube with some type of binder. Spongy material that soaks water well, I've used both that I mentioned and had no problems with germination on either. It was cool being able to lift the plugs and see the roots developing. What I did eventually struggle with is the plugs drying out rather quickly when the seedlings got bigger root systems, they just drank all the time. Soil gave me a slight buffer and retains moisture better and allowed more time between watering. From these I planted the entire things into solo cups, and eventually into the garden. Never an issue with the plugs not fully breaking down. In my experience they are a tidier option, and they do work. Having said all that, I did switch back to seeding stating mix this year. I too, just like to mix it up from time to time.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote