View Single Post
Old June 30, 2010   #21
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfan View Post
No one said Daconil was safe to eat. None of these chemicals, organic or otherwise, are good to eat. Daconil does however have the advantage of being able to be washed off. If it's systemic, you're going to ingest it. You have no choice.
I was not being critical of your decision not to use Daconil. If it makes you feel good, do it. If drinking a Coke instead of a Pepsi makes you feel good, do that too. Just think about this.Late Blight is so rampant in Florida and the other Southern States that without Chlorothalonil, there wouldn't be any Winter tomatoes. Forget about losing a full season's crop of tomatoes. Think about giving them up forever.
What many people don't realize to that if a supermarket tomato bears a USDA Certified Organic label, it doesn't mean that it hasn't been sprayed with Chlorothalonil or something equally toxic. If Organic farmers have no alternative, they are permitted to use those chemicals and still retain their Organic certification. Like the Energy Star Program, Organic Certification is Federal Government BS.
Like people, some plants seem to have a genetic immunity to certain diseases and some are just lucky. When I was in the Army over 40 years ago I had major exposures to Agent Orange and Asbestos. I also smoked for 35 years. I haven't suffered a single ill effect from any of that. Some of my friends who had similar exposures are dead already. Why didn't it affect me? I don't know. I know it wasn't the fish milk. (Whatever that is. It sounds worse than Daconil)
One thing you do that I would never consider is to leave infected plants in the ground and try to heal them. Those little spore generators can infect an entire County in a matter of days. It's not fair to your neighbors. Just because some inconsiderate SOB did it to you is no reason to do it to others.
I am a newbie.....but my eyes are sore from reading so much here. I am not picking sides.....but I will agree with Duckfans post. Gardeners put a ton of pride and love into their gardens or they would not be posting here. Early and Late Blight + Leaf spot were issues last season BAD in Michigan. I will take the risk of being poisoned by a chemical that came out in the 60's for healthy fruit. In the winter time.......you have NO clue what chemicals are on that lettuce and fruits that you eat from the supermarkets do you? A lot comes from other country's out of the USA does it not? Do you eat salad at restaurants? Is that certified organic? I am a lawn guru and know for a fact that organics have come a long way in the last 10 years or so. Nothing is stronger than a man made chemical in today's world. I will use Daconil until something is "PROVEN" better organically I will not lose my plants that I worked so hard to raise with my own pride and joy >>>>>>>>>>>>> Talon