View Single Post
Old November 26, 2008   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

cdevidal,

I want to be clear that the EarthTainer is not a competitor to the EarthBox product from the good folks at the EarthBox Company. Blake and his Company are doing many humanitarian projects around the world, and I support them as a "customer" for their Automated Watering System and I own EarthBoxes purchased from them too.

In doing any cost comparison, you also need to count in your time and tools to the final equation. I roughly calculated my "true" cost of each EarthTainer is closer to $100 at the end of the day, which is more expensive than an EarthBox ready to use.

Having said that, my concern with the EarthBox (for me) was that it only held about 1.5 cubic feet of potting mix, and I wanted a vessel that would hold at least 3 cubic feet in order to grow large heirloom tomatoes and sweet corn. The 31 gallon Rubbermaid size 'Tainer fit the bill perfectly.

So if you are planting vegetables such a peppers, the EarthBox is an ideal solution. If your goal is really big tomato plants and crops such as sweet corn, then building an EarthTainer may be the way to go. It's nice to have choices.....

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote