View Single Post
Old December 15, 2015   #46
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
So those of us who choose to use non organic methods to improve our soil or a combination of organics and non organics are not allowed to post in this forum? Is that what you're saying?
absolutely not, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. But that soil test had SOM of 16+ It's practically compost! When your SOM is 16+ there is no reason for ammonium nitrate. Now for me sitting at one field around 1 SOM I probably will try to fertilise and improve soil both (with cover crops and mulches) while I am decidedly in favor of organic methods, because as a general rule of thumb they are superior at improving soil quality, it's situational. Honestly I'll be happy when I get up to 6...16 is nothing but a dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFXEFU View Post
Thanks for the information, that's why I'm adding leaves to my garden over the winter to raise the organic content. Even with a high organic content and low nitrogen plants are not going to thrive. I'm new to soil building, so how long will it take for enough nitrogen to be added through mineralization to allow plants to thrive without commercial nitrogen?
Well it all depends on soil biota, but with a good cover crop blend and the leaves you could experiment will reducing it right away. That's why I suggested to them to inoculate at the start. Since it wasn't a haney test, just added insurance. With a Haney test you could get a better Idea. [1] But the test is pricey compared to standard tests. I couldn't afford it last year. Hopefully this year I won't have 3 feet of water in the field and I will be able to field test a few things much better.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; December 15, 2015 at 01:25 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote