View Single Post
Old May 28, 2012   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Jan, I have had successful tomatoes here for 13 years, but thids is by far my best season ever. The difference: Earthboxes. They are closed off, "soil" pre amended by their directions,via added dolomite lime to prevent blossom end rot( calcium deficiency), fertilizer placed in a strip away from the plant but able to feed it, and there is a water reservoir that keeps the plants always watered, but never over watered because any overfill just runs out instead of drowning them. This is the first year I have had plants survive this late, always been dead by 3rd week april before. I am sold, and just ordered 15 more.
They can be used year after year and they are resistant to Uv rays so they wont break down for a long time.
South Florida soil is sandy and has nematodes and centipedes, and we have thrips and whiteflies, which Kurt says get eaten by ladybugs. I have found that spraying the whiteflies every 7 days with Neem oil/ and a little dishsoap to spread it well controls the whiteflies very well. They will get into a patio because they are small enough to fit through most screens. Neem oil is organic, comes from a Neem tree, and it is antifungal and a miticide too.
Try the self watering container systems, there are several, and plant out in October, and again in late January, and you will do fine.
I had to give away sooo many this year due to abundance!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote